Funding Home Adaptations or Accessible Housing

Funding_homeA number of programs exist at the national, state, and local level that provide design or financial assistance to help persons with disabilities either modify existing homes or locate and purchase or rent accessible housing. Identifying the programs for which you may qualify and which are available in your geographical location can be a daunting task. The resources on this page may help you get started.

Locating Potential Funding Assistance

Though grant, loan and assistance programs may be funded at the federal level or state level, application for and delivery of service frequently takes place at the local level. The following articles, even where written about a particular project or a particular state, offer an overview of the typical available resources and search/application processes.

  • "Housing Information You Can Use" is a booklet published by The Cape Organization for Rights of the Disabled (CORD), an independent living center. It provides a good overview of how to locate and finance accessible housing.

  • "How to Pay for It?" from discusses various potential sources of funding assistance for home modifications and provides links where available.

  • The Wisconsin Department of Health Services offers a full page devoted entirely to Housing and Architectural Accessibility Resources that provides design resources and links to financial assistance programs.

Sample Funding Agencies or Programs

The following sites represent a sample of some programs available nationwide.

Fannie Mae has mortgage loan products designed to meet the special needs of people with disabilities or the needs of people who have family members with disabilities living with them. These mortgage loans include the Community HomeChoice™ program, which offers "greater flexibility in qualifying and underwriting standards; and acceptance of nontraditional credit histories." Community HomeChoice™ Loans are offered through Fannie-Mae-approved lenders and agencies or coalitions. 

Rural Housing Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture has a number of direct loan and grant programs to enable rural Americans to own a home or to repair a home. Several programs are specifically designed for persons who have disabilities, are elderly, have low income, or a combination of these factors.

On its extensive website, HUD, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, has created a special section with information for disabled persons that provides links to relevant information about various programs offered by HUD.

Assistance Listings allows individuals to search its database to identify a variety of federal assistance for which they may qualify. The catalog contains programs that are available through state and local government and private agencies as well as direct programs.

Powered by FoolProof

This website is powered by FoolProof.

FoolProof is endorsed by the National Association of Consumer Advocates and the Consumer Federation of America.


Online Education

Educate yourself, your kids, your students or your employees.

Our online education programs will teach anyone the core financial literacy skills one needs in life.

All programs are turnkey, highly educational, online, interactive, video driven, self paced & fun!

Learn more »


Receive an overview of the latest posts in your inbox, every two weeks:

Enter your email address

Sample an archived e-alert.